What is a wholecloth quilt?
1. A wholecloth quilt would be any quilt that is not a patchwork. The top of the quilt consists of a solid piece of fabric, rather than a collection of different fabrics that are sewn together. A wholecloth quilt could be one solid color, or it could have a printed design. All of the quilts on this page would be considered wholecloth quilts.
2. What is a toile quilt?
Toile (pronounced "twall") is a type of patterned design used to adorn home textiles for centuries. Toile generally consists of an detailed floral or pastoral landscape design which is produced using only two colors- most often a darker color on a lighter background. Toile is commonly associated with French Country decorating and is frequently paired with gingham or stripe accent fabrics. A toile quilt would simply be a quilt featuring this type of decorative pattern.
3. What is a matelasse quilt?
A matelasse (pronounced mat-la-SAY)quilt would be a solid color wholecloth quilt with embroidery on the surface. The embroidery stitching could be done by hand or machine and could range from simple to highly complex.
4. I have a very thick mattress. Should I order the next size up?
Most likely, yes. While the Patchwork Quilts are pretty over-sized, the Floral, Toile and Matelasse quilts come in more standard sizes. The exception to this would be the Abigail quilt- this is a very generously sized matelasse quilt.
5. I have found a floral quilt that I love, but there are no matching bedskirts in the size I need. What should I do?
We can usually suggest a solid or print skirt that would coordinate with the quilt. Just give us a call and we can give you some suggestions.
6. Why don't you have any king size pillow shams to go with these quilts?
Not all manufacturers make king size pillow shams. We suggest using 3 standard size pillow shams to fill out a king size bed if a king size sham is not available.
7. Where are these quilts made?
Most of the quilts on this page are made in China. The Abigail quilt is made in India.
8. Are these quilts machine washable?
Yes! You will find that these quilts are very durable and withstand quite a bit of wear.
9. How thick are these quilts?
Most of the quilts on this page would be considered light-weight. The exception would be the Abigail quilt, which is made with a heavier cotton batting.